In 2008, freemium game design expert Adrian Crook founded Adrian Crook & Associates. AC+A has since worked with over 100 clients, including many of the leading mobile & social game companies.Our focus is on delivering design and product management solutions that drive healthy KPIs, from retention to monetization to virality. We continually strive to stay at the forefront of this rapidly evolving industry by doing cutting edge work and staying very busy.
Our team includes designers and product managers with experience in large and small teams. Complemented by mobile strategists and freemium game economy designers with extensive experience, they are ready to take your game to the next level.
Adrian Crook is an award-winning game design consultant with over 20 years’
experience in the social, casual, and core games sectors. He has produced and designed over two dozen products across platforms ranging from early Nintendo and Sega Genesis to PlayStation 1, PlayStation 2, PC, Xbox 360, Wii, Facebook, iOS, and Online. In 2006, Adrian was named Producer of the Year by the Canadian New Media Awards and his products have won numerous awards, including “Game of the Year.”
Adrian has led multiple original IP products to market, with one product selling more than 1 million units on a single platform. He is a certified Scrummaster with a proven ability to lead large teams of up to 100 developers.
In January 2008, Adrian founded Adrian Crook & Associates, a game design and strategy consultancy that has contributed to the success of over 90 valued international clients. Adrian’s experienced team is focused on social and mobile game design, gamification, business development, and startup growth strategy. Adrian Crook & Associates has extensive experience designing social and online games that include multiple monetization methods, such as virtual goods, ad support, tiered subscriptions, branded content, and more.
Adrian is an advisor to several game industry firms and is currently a creative mentor at Execution Labs, a game incubator and accelerator. He has given interviews on G4TV and other TV, print, and online news outlets, and has spoken as a social games expert at conferences such as GDC, SXSW, ICE, Casual Connect, INplay, and GameON: Finance.
Tony Lam is a Partner at Adrian Crook & Associates with over 20 years of experience in the high tech sector having spent 16+ years in the video game sector with Electronic Arts and Microsoft. There, he had a variety of roles from Software Engineer to Business Unit COO garnering credits in over 70 game titles. At Electronic Arts, he was the COO of a large (300+ staff) product development business unit and was also Senior Director of the studio’s central development team focused on providing game art, game engineering, and central technologies to a wide range of products. He followed his time at EA with a position at Microsoft Game Studios where he was Director of Operations for the Vancouver studio and was responsible for growing a new business unit focused on Free-2-Play games from the ground up.
After his time with EA and Microsoft, Tony served as the COO for Reinvent, Inc., a worldwide leader in direct navigation traffic with an inventory of over 200,000 domain names where he led the incubation and development of Internet properties and mobile apps with projects in social networking, daily deals, e-commerce, Internet marketing, and big data.
Prior to joining AC+A, Tony was a Principal at Vanedge Capital, a $138M venture capital fund where his area of focus was on investments in interactive entertainment and digital media. There, he had Board Observer roles with MediaCore, Gamerizon and Sava Transmedia. Tony also served on the Board of Directors of Playnomics (mobile game analytics) which was acquired by Unity Technologies.
Brands & Clients
What our clients say about us
- "My team has been actively implementing all the ideas Adrian’s group suggested, and I am already seeing positive results with 4x ARPPU numbers than before our engagement. They easily integrated into our team and felt more like team members than outside consultants. In short, hire AC+A for a few months; you will not regret it."Scott White, Studio Vice PresidentAspyr Media Inc.
- "Adrian is my go-to guy whenever I get in a pinch and need someone to come in and drive an emergency project — regardless of scope or subject matter. He’s also the right guy to put in front of top industry execs to pitch, brainstorm, or suss out a project’s milestone plan, product goals, or design strategy."Michael Waite, Executive ProducerZynga
- "I can say with confidence that AC+A's perspectives will absolutely have an impact on our future direction. I would recommend AC+A to any groups thinking about F2P and looking for some expert council on building and taking to market a winner!"Deepa Arora, Director of Emerging MarketsEA SPORTS
- "I loved working with Adrian. Partnering creatively is rarely easy, especially without an existing relationship, but Adrian made it a great experience. He challenged us when appropriate, contributed great ideas and stimulated a level of design I think not possible for us to achieve on our own."Ryan Cleven, Executive ProducerMicrosoft
- "I can’t say enough good things about working with Adrian. He’s the first person I’ll call if I need an experienced game designer to support our team or our project. He is a talented and creative game designer with an amazing attitude, and he consistently delivered great results on-time."Gary Gettys, Executive ProducerZynga
- "Working with AC+A allowed us to clarify key issues with our game design while we were still early enough in the development process to make changes. Because of the specific recommendations we received from Jordan, our game is both more fun for players and able to monetize those players more effectively."Richard Barnwell, CEODigit Gaming